Reporting changes for associations registered as charities with the ACNC
September 18, 2018
From 1 October 2018, there are changes to the requirements of charities registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC).
You will no longer need to lodge annual reports with Fair Trading or pay the annual lodgement fee. This applies if your association has not yet lodged your NSW annual summary for your current financial year end by 1 October 2018.
You must lodge your association’s Annual Information Statement (and financial statements if required) with the ACNC for each financial year. The change only applies to annual financial reporting obligations.
- All incorporated associations must continue to notify Fair Trading of any changes, such as the association’s name, details, constitution or public officer.
- If your association is not on the ACNC charities register, your reporting obligations do not change. You must continue to lodge all annual reporting with Fair Trading and pay the lodgement fee.
- The change only applies if the association continues to be registered with the ACNC.
- The change is not retrospective. For associations that must lodge their annual summary before 1 October 2018, separate annual reporting must be submitted to the ACNC and Fair Trading.
- Associations must hold their AGM within 6 months of their financial year end date. All financial statements must be submitted to members at this meeting. For more information about your reporting obligations, visit the Running an association page on our website.
- If the ACNC has agreed to withhold or remove any of the charity’s information from the ACNC register (e.g. revenue or address), then the exemption does not apply.
Source: NSW Fair Trading. https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/