Activity Inspiration – Children
Activity suggestions for children
There are many activities to help keep kids busy while practicing social distancing.
- Build a cubby house with blankets, sheets and a heap of pegs.
- Cook something simple together like pikelets – click here for a recipe.
- Draw portraits of each other. Set a timer and enjoy the hilarious or spectacular results. Click here for a video with drawing some tips.
- Make pom-poms with scrap wool – click here for a YouTube video with instructions.
- Do a family jigsaw puzzle together. You can even have your own puzzle made from a family photo.
- Have a family photography challenge where you all have to take a photo of the same object e.g. an apple and see who can be the most creative.
- See our other great suggestions below which include craft activities, stories read out loud, zoo animal cams and much more!
Printable Activity Sheets
- 29 Easy Craft Ideas For Kids (by Canvas Factory)
- Garden pinwheel (by makesandtakes.com)
- How to make play dough (by Play Group NSW)
- Hand and footprints (by Play Group NSW)
- Junk Sculpture (by Play Group NSW)
- Creating Paper People (by the Frick, Pittsburgh, USA)
- Sock Bunny Art Project (by the Frick, Pittsburgh, USA)
- Audible are offering streaming of a huge selection of children’s stories while schools are closed.
- Storybox Library is a great resource that features authors and others reading children’s story books. You need to sign up with your library card number (from participating libraries) to get access.
- You can find videos of people reading books on YouTube e.g. The Very Brave Bear – by Nick Bland
- Story about Coronavirus by Kim St Lawrence called Time to come in bear.
- Noni the Pony read by Alison Lester.
Celebrities reading children’s books
Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.